Tuesday, April 28, 2009

May- Creating a Bedroom Sanctuary

It starts off with a habit of the month- Return clothing to where it belongs every day- OMG- How hard is that- did the writer of this book have 3 kids? that will be impossible for me to do- but I will try.

Ok- Next it breaks the month into weeks- so I am starting with week 1-
the book says this week's organizational activities will take from 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
It has a list of questions that I am supposed to answer and reflect on:
1. As a child I liked my room and had my own room. I did not have to share it.
2. I had control over the decor of my bedrooms as a kid. I was allowed decorating freedom and it changed all the time.
3. I do like my current bedroom, I like the color, the size, location, and layout.
4. What I don't like about my room is that it turns into the living room to watch tv for the whole family- we pile up in my bed and watch tv together
5. this could be remedied if I just said no and made everyone do this activity in the living room
6. this room is not filled with things from the past. there are no pictures of family or kids. I have attempted to keep it clutter free, but it is mostly odd papers and dvd's that pile up and around.
7. I do share this room, with my husband. I am not a space hog and it is not mostly my things in the room. We made it a clean slate when we recently purchased our new bedroom furniture
8. This question did not apply to me.
9. The bedroom is not frilly and girly. I tried to pick out bed linens and drapes that were nice but also had some masacuilinity to them. I thnk Joey likes them and is comfortable with them.

Advised to make a plan: make a list of all improvements and changes you'd like to make
Really I just want to declutter and find a home for all the things that land in my room. I think that I need doors to my closet since the old ones broke, and I need to take down wash and rehang the drapes. the closet is a disaster and my master bath needs to be painted. All of this can be accomplished in a month.

Asked if Clothes have taken over the room: no- just a section of the closet that are trouble areas. asked specific questions:
1. I dont have a chair in my room, so it is not covered with clothes
2. I do pile my dirty clothes on the floor, even though I have a hamper.
3. My dresser drawers (general closet area) is chaotic.
4. There is nothing really in my closet except some random computer components, some old scrapbooking stuff and clothes. It is not a general storage closet.
5. I have things smashed together in the closet.
6. I already have uniform wooden hangers
7. there is a huge space between the shelf and the ceiling in my closet.
8. I do have multiple wardrobes due to changing weight
9. The closet floor is shoe graveyard

Ok well that was it for this week and It took less than an hour. BUT I am inspired to go through the room with a trash bag and to get in my closet and weed through some of the clothes I don't need anymore.

No comments: